Monday, February 4, 2013

What you'll need to get started

For my first post, I'd like to make a list of things you will need to purchase to begin your studies, and if you intend to follow along with my blog posts, what you'll need to get the most use out of them. I'll forgo the obvious -- yes, you'll need something to write with and on, as well as your brain -- but there are some things you can pick up that you should put some thought into before buying, and a few things you might not have considered.

Calculator: It's important that you choose your calculator wisely because the NCEES only allows certain models of calculator into the exam. You should figure out which one you want to use as early as possible so that you can study with it and get comfortable with all its features. If you choose a good calculator and spend some time learning how to quickly and correctly use its advanced features, you will potentially do better because your calculator will solve the problems for you faster (and with less chance of error) than you would doing them by hand. On the other hand, if you wait until the last minute and buy something you're not familiar with, you'll likely get burned. Either you'll use its features  incorrectly or too slowly, or you'll end up doing something by hand your calculator could have done more quickly, and that will hurt your score. So spend some time figuring out which calc is right for you and use the same model from now until your test is finished.

NCEES posts a list of approved calculators -- there is a list on their website but I would double-check it against the "rules" they give you at the time you register for the exam, just to make sure you comply with the most up-to-date version -- and generally allows TI, HP and Casio models. I prefer the Casio fx-115es. Compared to the previous model I was using from another manufacturer, I believe this one has more "power" features, a more intuitive layout, and is slightly cheaper. I like that it has both solar and battery power just in case. Further, I will use this model for all tutorials on this website, potentially including some that specifically instruct you on how to solve with the calculator as opposed to pen-and-paper. So if you want to follow along with my calculator instructions, the fx-115es or a similar version (there is an "es plus" on the market now) will be your best bet.

Books: First and foremost, I would recommend you get your own copy of the most current FE Supplied-Reference Handbook. As I write this the most current edition is the 8th edition, 2nd revision. You will not be allowed to bring your own copy into the exam, so there's no point flagging pages and making notes in the margin thinking you can just look up your cheat sheets. However, you should use it to get familiar with what kind of info is where, and practice with it so on test day the only hints you'll need are the ones provided in the manual.

You may also want to get some study guides. This blog won't cover every single question you might encounter -- I'm learning with you, remember? -- so a more comprehensive review text will likely be helpful. The tried and true book is Lindeburg's Rapid Preparation book. If you were only going to get one book, this would be the one. However, this manual only covers the morning session. If you sign up for a discipline-specific afternoon session -- civil, mechanical, etc. -- you may wish to get another review manual to help you brush up for that (and budget study time to go through that one as well). There are also similar books by other authors, as well as solved example books, practice exam books, and everything else you might imagine, so if you feel that it would be worth the investment there are plenty of guides to aid your studies.

A Refresher Course: Again, this website won't cover everything, so I would recommend you take a refresher course if one is offered. There are plenty of online classes out there, but if you're a university student I would look on your campus first. I paid $150 to get into the FE refresher course on my campus, which is much cheaper than most online classes I've found. Plus, that fee covered the books mentioned above, which were provided to us on the first day of class. Subtract the cost of the manuals from the tuition for the course and that's a no-brainer, it's definitely worth signing up for. Your mileage may vary -- maybe I just go to an especially generous school -- but I would inquire with your local School of Engineering and see what they have to offer.

A Seat for the Exam: This isn't really something you buy, but make sure that you are fully registered and do it as soon as possible. Depending on where you are at, you might be signing up with three different entities. For me, I had to go through my university, the State licensing board, and NCEES. First, I had to make sure my university would recommend to the State board that I be allowed to sit for the exam on the grounds that I've completed 75%+ of my coursework. At the same time, I had to register with my State, and submit an application fee. After that, you must register with NCEES for a seat on exam day. All three of these bodies will have their own deadlines so it's up to you to get all your ducks in a row.

Do not wait until the last minute and do not assume everything is taken care of unless the responsible person has confirmed it to you. Check with each entity to make sure you know their deadlines. I personally got burned by waiting until the last minute during fall semester because the State changed their deadline (that's right, I didn't check with them specifically) and my school did not tell me. It's a good thing I still have spring semester to take it before I graduate! I have a friend who claims that the admin secretary at his school screwed him over by telling him she would send in his application to the State and that they would pay the $50. I don't know if that's the truth or not, but if it is, he should have known better than to rely on someone else. Don't leave your future in someone else's hands if you can avoid it. Now he's going to graduate in May and have to wait until October to sit for the exam. Don't be like that! Also keep in mind that mail takes a while and sometimes gets lost. Personally, when I sent in my State application for Spring semester, I sent it Priority Mail with delivery confirmation and with plenty of time to spare.

No comments:

Post a Comment